Social icons

Outfit: Getting Back to Basics

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

I talk a lot about building a cohesive wardrobe and investing in high quality pieces, but let's be real, it's a lot easier to talk the talk than to walk the walk.

After years of buying a million cheap tees and multiple faux leather skirts I finally took my own advice and saved up for the investment pieces. In my experience the key to getting the right investment pieces is quality and fit. If you can check off both those boxes you're doing something right.

I would normally never suggest spending the amount I did on this skirt (though I did get it at 50% off), but after buying two different faux leather skirts (1 & 2) in the past year and a half and wearing them to death I knew I needed to make an investment. A leather skirt is a year-round piece that can be worn to class, work (sometimes), and even out at night, so it really is must-have staple. I fell in love with this one because of the feminine & flattering tulip shape (not to mention the feel of real leather). If you're looking for your first leather skirt I would say go straight to Zara for a medium price, but if you get hooked like I have make an investment in a piece that will last years.

Now, let's talk about the tee. Investing in a great tee is a must-do and really anyone can do it because it's less about the cost and more about the fit and quality. The perfect tee doesn't have to cost you more than $50, but you should go nicer than the throw away $5 Forever 21 option. I've always found the best tees at J.Crew and Gap and you really can't beat the prices, especially if you wait for a sale! The hard work is finding the material and shape that works best for you. My go-to is a light linen tee and I usually go one size up to get a loose casual fit. The right tee is like the right pair of jeans, you'll try on a million before you find the right pair, but once you find the one you'll never need to look again.

What are you thoughts on investment pieces? Do any of you college students have a hard time building a cohesive high quality wardrobe on a budget?

10 comments

  1. I absolutely adore this leather skirt! The slit and overlay make it so much fun, and way easier to dress up or dress down compared to a simple leather pencil!


    Have a great day!
    Xo, Rachel
    Seashells + Sparkles

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're adorable! I love this outfit, basics are always my go to! Especially when they involve blacks and neutrals :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun outfit! A Leather skirt is such a great piece to have year around. I need to make an investment in one soon. I like your outfit a lot, the skirt is really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Felecia. I wear my leather skirts all the time. They are definitely a great item to have in a pinch!


    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in my favorite basics, which is why I've realized it is so important to invest in quality instead of buying a ton of crap. Thanks so much!


    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! That's exactly why I loved it! Thanks so much for reading.


    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this outfit!!

    Also, I completely agree with you about the investment pieces. I just bought my first faux leather skirt a few months ago, but I can see myself wanting a better quality one at some point.

    While I wouldn't spend $100 on a tee, I also wouldn't spend $5 either.

    The only time I truly go "cheap" is when it's a super trendy item that I don't expect to wear for more than a season.

    Jackie

    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so so so chic here. Love the leopard flats with it! And I totally agree about investing in certain pieces! Glad you took the plunge and got this skirt.

    Pink Champagne Problems

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in a tropical country so leather skirt just means butt sweat :( You look great though! The petal cut of the skirt is so cute :)


    www.chloecake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.