Social icons

Getting Back Up

Friday, November 11, 2016

Honestly, this week has been pretty tough. I'm sure many of you know how I feel, but Wednesday morning and throughout the day it was pretty hard to hold back my tears. This was the first U.S. Presidential Election I've been old enough to vote in, and I couldn't help but feel somewhat defeated by the result. 

However, I was also reminded of the power and importance of this democracy we live in. I've always been proud to be an American, but it took a lot to remind myself that holding these ideals of freedom of speech and choice is important, even in the moments where I wan't to demonize those who don't believe the same things as me.  

I think the key takeaway from this election is that, as a whole, our country needs more love and less hate. It's so easy to hate people that are different than you, but it's so much harder to accept those who are different and, as Ellen always says, be kind to one another. I want to hate those who voted for Trump, but that isn't going to change anything. What will change our country, and hopefully improve the lives of every person, is to keep fighting for acceptance and ensure that every single person living in this country is heard and protected.

I've needed a couple days to wrap my head around things and feel my disappointment, but now I'm trying my hardest to get back up again and do what I can to make this country a more loving and accepting place. As Hillary said in her speech on Wednesday, I will not stop fighting for what I believe in and what is right, but I am going to keep trying not to hate those who believe differently that me in the process. On that note, I hope you all have a lovely weekend and enjoy the last of these perfect fall days :)

SHOP THE POST


Also, these boots are my absolute favorite right now! They're SO comfy and look really adorable dressed up or down.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.