Social icons

Travel: Old Orchard Beach Maine

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

My first day of class is a week from today but I'm not quite ready to give up summer just yet. While I was home in Massachusetts with my family for a couple weeks we headed up to Old Orchard Beach in Maine for a weekend of beach time. Since most of my summer was spent inside an office a few days of sun and sand were just what I needed. 


Since moving up to New England almost eight years ago I've grown to really love Maine in the summertime. It's a little bit more relaxed than the Cape and each town feels completely different. Old Orchard Beach and nearby Cape Elizabeth were completely new to me when we visited and I loved getting to explore a few new spots. 

The pier at Old Orchard Beach was easily my favorite part of the area. Walking down the beach to the pier at sunset was just beautiful and the reflection of the pier in the wet sand couldn't have been more perfect. At the start of the pier there is also a fun amusement park with rides and carnival games. My sister and I may or may not have cheated at one of the games to win a stuffed tiger :) 
On our last evening we headed up to Portland Head Lighthouse on Cape Elizabeth. Of course after a half hour drive to reach the lighthouse we were informed that the state park it's set on would be closing just 15 minutes after we arrived. Unfortunately, I was only able to snap a few pictures in that time, but the rocky landscape and red roof reminded me of the perfect postcard. 
 While I only had a few days to explore and relax it was just enough time to recharge and get a little bit of a tan. Now that I'm back in the city I'm just wishing I could be back in my beach chair watching the waves roll in.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.